Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: The Re-coned 416-8C's

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I **** at typing......

    So I have 2 cones that I have not yet installed.
    Will Bill replace these for me?

    Ron

  2. #32
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't ask that question - contact him and see...

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the info Todd. I'll try and give Bill a call in the next day or so.

    Art. I looked carefully at the cone from GPA and I believe that the surround is installed correctly, just on the wrong side of the cone. There are 4 outward pleats showing, and that matches with a stock driver.
    So I agree this isn't the whole story, but it's a step in the right direction.
    I still tend to think the cones are shorter, but as I said, it's a difficult measurement to make on a disassembled cone. If I had a New Old Stock cone, it would be easy.

    Maybe Bill will share with me the procedure for doing a re-cone......and I might buy the glues from him as well.

    Ron

  4. #34
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's the procedure (text only) copied straight from the Altec instruction sheet. The sheet was new enough, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill wrote it. As I mentioned earlier, almost all Altec 15s are listed on it except 416s and 411s.


    Step 1. Remove speaker from enclosure or
    mounting baffle and take it to the work
    area.
    Step 2. Unsolder tinsel leads from inner side of
    terminal posts, or unplug from terminal.
    Step 3. Remove gasket ring (or gasket-ring
    segments), cone, spider and voice-coil
    assembly.
    Step 4. Cover voice-coil gap with masking tape
    to prevent debris from entering gap.
    Step 5. Remove old cement from mounting
    surfaces of spider and cone. Use a single
    edge razor blade in a holder to lift cement
    from mounting surface. If necessary,
    scrape residue and/or clean surfaces with
    suitable solvent such as methyl ethel
    ketone (MEK) or cyano- debonder.
    Step 6. Remove masking tape from voice-coil
    gap.
    Step 7. Clean foreign material from voice-coil gap
    with a short strip of 1-inch-wide masking
    tape. Fold tape back to form a strip with
    adhesive exposed on both sides. Insert
    edges of folded tape into voice-coil gap to
    full depth, and wipe clean completely
    around the circular perimeter. Repeat
    cleaning procedure several times with
    fresh tape until tape remains clean when
    withdrawn.
    Step 8. Apply proper cement to surfaces of
    speaker frame where spider and cone rest
    (see Table of Cement Applicability and
    speaker illustration).
    Step 9. Place new cone assembly loosely in
    position and insert centering shims
    between pole piece and voice-coil as
    shown in the illustration detail. Carefully
    center voice-coil.
    Step 10. Fasten spider by pressing it down against
    cemented surface of speaker frame,
    completely around perimeter of spider.
    Step 11. Fasten outer edge of cone by pressing it
    down against cemented surface of speaker
    frame, completely around perimeter of
    cone.
    Step 12. Cement gasket (or gasket segments) in
    place. Allow at least 4 hours for cement to
    set.
    Step 13. Remove centering shims and verify that
    no foreign material is in voice-coil gap.
    NOTE
    A clicking sound may be heard if leads are
    short-circuited, and cone/voice-coil assembly is
    depressed in gap.
    Step 14. Solder leads of voice coil to terminal posts,
    allowing enough slack for full cone
    excursion, but not so much that leads can
    touch one another or the speaker frame.
    Plug in tinsel to terminal on these models
    with terminal stake.
    Step 15. Place dust dome in position and apply a
    bead of cement completely around outer
    edge of dome.
    Step 16. Apply two or three coats of solvent based
    surround dope in area shown by
    illustration. Apply one coat of water based
    dope in area shown by illustration. See
    Note 1 of Cement Applicability Table.
    NOTE
    Use an acid brush or suitable bristled brush.
    Step 17. Allow 24 hours to dry before reinstalling
    speaker.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow
    I didn't know that would make a difference.
    -------------

    Boy Ron, this story keeps getting better. That little distance
    between the inner and outer edge can't be all of the problem.
    Is their a slight pitch (in) on the inside edge of the surround?
    Sight unseen.
    Since it was glued from the bottom, the whole surround could
    be inside out, pushing in, instead of holding out. Oh No....

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Bfish,
    This procedure assumes that the Cone and V/C is an assembly. Which it isn't in the case of the GPA parts. You have to glue the V/C assembly to the cone.
    Ron

  7. #37
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    10-4, I've come across the variance on the spider/cone joints, with some having up to an eigth gap, and others touching, both on ones I took apart, and completed jobs, yet I never ran out of former, nor had to trim it.

    Then there's the chance that a 416's an entirely different beast since not listed, though I can't imagine why, unless its the doping procedure. The oversize, vented dustcap is the only major component difference, assembly-wise, but all the 515s were listed, which use the same cap. I can see the 411 being on another sheet, with the foam compliance.

    Anyway, best-of-luck to you in finding a satisfying answer (and some peace!).

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe I have it all figured out, I just need to see if GPA will sell me the glues, and then decide if I want to have a go at it myself.
    forums
    Would you recommend a series of shims? I was thinking of making a tubular shim from either brass shim stock or maybe some sort of stiff plastic sheet stock. Looks like .012" ought to do well. I'll have to go see what we have in the model shop....they used to be able to build most anything there. (Tektronix)
    Ron

  9. #39
    Inactive Member amh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2004
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron,

    Do you still have the old stock cone you disassembled? I think you said you even removed the VC from it? If so, just lay it on a table top, surround end down, then stick a scale (ruler) through the small end to the table top. Measure the height from the table top to the edge of the small end (where the VC would glue in). Repeat with the GPA cone. Compare the height.

    Cone mass you can get at your local post office or drug store. Anywhere that has an accurate scale.

    Not trying to be pushy, but the suspense is killing me! forums

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys.

    AMH.....I went back and measured the cones.
    The old cone...as best as I can tell, measures 3.60" from the small end to the table. The GPA cone measures 3.4".
    Again, it's real hard to remove the VC w/o messing up the cone, but I did 2 of them, and I believe the 3.6" measurement to be correct.
    So a difference of .200". The GPA cone is shorter.

    The GPA cone is also .004" thinner than the orig cone. So no doubt, lighter as well.
    And....to my eyes the shape is different as well. The original cone has more of a trumpet shape, the GPA cone is more like a funnel.

    I really think this explains the sunken cone syndrome. But, one can eliminate this by making sure the cone doesn't sit all the way down on the spider when doing the gluing. And there is plenty of former left to glue to. I carefully shimmed and set all of this together again tonight.

    Not sure how the cone differences will affect the sound though.

    Bfish......got it about the shims. I played around with .010 plastic shims tonight. I could get 5 in, but the 6th just wouldn't go.
    Explain doping please? Almost sounds like you do the whole cone? This is confusing.

    More good info folks.

    Beginning to make me think it's worthwhile to search for nice original drivers. A NIB pair of 416-8B's sold recently on Ebay for $600. Could have been a bargain!

    Ron

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.